Exclusive Interview With Joshua Clottey - "I Will Be Bringing EVERYTHING To The Fight With Shane Mosley!"

32-year-old Joshua Clottey of Accra, Ghana gets another well deserved shot at winning a big fight this coming December 26th - Boxing Day. Coming back after his controversial points loss to Miguel Cotto, the former IBF welterweight champion faces reigning WBA 147-pound king Sugar Shane Mosley, and "The Grand Master" is desperate to win and then be recognised as the best welterweight in the world.

Very kindly taking time out to speak with me earlier today, Clottey, 35-3(20) had the following answers to my questions:

James Slater: It's a pleasure to speak with you, Joshua, as always. Firstly, is the Shane Mosley fight a definite for December 26th?

Joshua Clottey: Yes, it's definite. I'm fighting Shane Mosley on December 26th..

J.S: It's strange to have such a big fight so close to Christmas. Is it a concern of yours having to train through the holidays and fight on Boxing Day?

J.C: It's my job to be a boxer, you know? Boxers have to do their job in the ring, we don't have to have holidays or time off at Christmas. This is a big fight that will be on HBO and I have to take advantage of it. This fight is my chance to become a two-time champion and I'm very happy about the fight.

J.S: Is Mosley a fighter you have wanted to fight for a while? Is he someone you've always had your eye on?

J.C: Yeah. Back in 2004, Lou DiBella asked me if I wanted to fight Shane Mosley and I said okay. Then, he got back to me and said that Mosley didn't want to do it. So you can see it's been a while, and you can see that I really want this fight. I love it when I get to fight the big names, like [Miguel] Cotto, [Antonio] Margarito and now Mosley. I always want to fight the best in my division.

J.S: Do you consider Mosley to be the best of all the current belt holders at welterweight?

J.C: There are a number of good fighters who some people say are the best in the division - like Cotto, Margarito, myself and [Andre] Berto. But Shane Mosley has shown he is the number-one because he beat Margarito, who was considered the best then. That's why I'm so happy about this fight; I will become the best in the world when I beat Mosley.

J.S: You will be the bigger man on December 26th, as you are very big for a welterweight. Will your plan be to wear Mosley down?

J.C: You're right, I am bigger. But he is more experienced. Which will win, the bigger man or the more experienced man? I know I will be bringing everything to this fight. Everything! I really want to win, and I'm coming to fight. He has been around a long time, and he's fought a lot of guys, so he has that experience. That, along with me bringing everything I have to the fight, will make it a very difficult fight for both of us.

J.S: Just going back to your last fight, with Cotto. Are you still angry? Do you still feel you won that fight?

J.C: Yeah, I felt I did enough to win. If you watch the fight closely you can see he never beat me. I beat the guy, and the people know that. Robberies are no good for boxing. I would love a rematch with Cotto, and with Margarito, because both those fights are questionable losses for me. I beat Cotto yet they gave it to him. If I lost a fight [fairly] I would admit it.

J.S: Who do you think wins on November 14th, between Cotto and Manny Pacquiao?

J.C: I'm not going to tell you who will win, but I will analyse the fight for you. Cotto has not fought this low for a long time, and I wonder if he will have to drain himself to make 145. If he's strong like he was when he fought me he will be very difficult for Pacquiao. But Pacquiao is very smart, and he'll be very serious for this fight - he'll move around a lot. When you throw punches at Cotto they all go in, Cotto has not got a good defence. Pacquiao, when you hit him, he gives you it right back. Cotto will have problems with Pacquiao but it will be a great fight.

J.S: And it goes without saying that you'd like to fight the winner!

J.C: I would love to fight the winner. I want to fight everybody in my weight division. I will fight anybody! If the people [the fans] asked me to go heavyweight, I'd go there. I fight for the people, and want them to love me.

J.S: Were you shocked when Mosley KO'd Margarito back in January?

J.C: I was a little bit shocked that he KO'd him, but I told everyone before the fight that Mosley would win. Margarito is defenceless to punches, and all Mosley's punches landed, and Mosley is not a small guy. Mosley played his own game and was too fast and too clever for Margarito.

J.S: When you face Mosley in December, do you think the fight will be one that goes all 12 rounds?

J.C: Well, I'm coming with everything and I'm good at bouncing back from a loss. I'm not going to say I'll knock out Mosley, I can't see that, but I will win. I will be ready to go all 12 rounds, but if a KO does come, it will come.

J.S: And is there added motivation on your part because if you win it will at last see you recognised as the best welterweight in the world?

J.C: Exactly. I want to be the best and I want the people to respect me as the best. I want people to say that the guy from Ghana is the best in the world. I always do all I can to get that respect. I want to be appreciated, this game is so hard. I want to be recognised for having longevity and for giving the fans the fights they want.

J.S: Well, it's been great speaking to you, Champ. I really appreciate your time and best wishes for December 26th.

J.C: Thank you.

Source: eastsideboxing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment